Earning Your Trust Since 1914
Mr. Samuel Black opened his funeral home on Tenth Street in the Oak Cliff neighborhood in Dallas, Texas in 1914. Mr. Black wanted to serve the African-American community during times of death. In 1935, C.J. Clark, his nephew, became his partner. Samuel Black died in 1939, and in 1945, C.J. Clark purchased his uncle’s share of the partnership and become sole owner.
C.J. Clark’s philosophy of doing business was to provide the community with courtesy, kindness, integrity, and above all, honesty. With this philosophy in mind, Black & Clark became one of the leading funeral homes in the Dallas area. In 1968, C.J. Clark opened a new facility in Oak Cliff located at 2517 E. Illinois, where it continues to operate today.
Following his time in the service in WWII and a period of study at Prairie View University, Clark’s son, Otis, joined the family business, receiving his funeral director’s license in 1960. In keeping with tradition, Otis’ son, Gary, began his career with the family in 1978. C.J. Clark died in 1983, leaving Otis in charge of running the business. Mr. Otis Clark died in 1999.
In 2006, Linda Mitchell, the independent director of their pre-arrangement department, acquired Black and Clark and continued the legacy by becoming the majority shareholder along with Funeral Directors Emanuel Pruitt, Gary Clark, and Johnny Wilson. They continue to embody what Black and Clark represents, excellence and integrity, with each family that is served.